Know what kind of moth this is?

Want to post some random pics of non Lake Cumberland or even Kentucky events or scenery? Here is a spot to do it!

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

katie
MASTER MEMBER

Know what kind of moth this is?

Post by katie »

Took this outside my office, this thing is huge, wingspan about 3.5 inches.... hairy sucker too lol!
0611101149-01.jpg
0611101149-01.jpg (424.27 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Know what kind of moth this is?

Post by E_ »

tobacco worm?
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
RELAX
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs Marina where the water is clear and the people real friendly!

Post by RELAX »

katie,

That is a Cectopia Moth. Very common in the Eastern USA. I think it is a part of a giant type moths family like also the Luna Moth which I think is the tobacco moth Hillman is talking about.

Thanks for an interesting post katie.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

Thanks Relax, I'm glad someone knew. E gave me a starting point, but that ? threw me, lol. I am 56 and have never seen anything like this! His body was as big around as my little finger! I am always watching for cocoons, never know what is going to come out.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)

Return to “Random Pics of whatever”