What is that?

A forum for you to ask and answer any Boat related technical question

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

What is that?

Post by E_ »

Well while out this weekend on the water I had a coupler on one of the waterheater lines malfunction. While I was in the engine compartment trying to patch that up to get me through the weekend I decided to look around and get acquainted with the boat a little better.

One thing I noticed is a thru hull fitting that has a valve on it that runs to what looks like a filter that then runs to what appears to be a pump and then it runs over near my freshwater tank.

WHAT IS IT? I don't know of a electric switch to operate the ?pump? and I don't know where the line goes.

Anyone have a clue? Geez since I have limited time on the boat I guess I'll just keep finding stuff like this. lol
IMAG0225a.jpg
IMAG0225a.jpg (337.49 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
IMAG0237a.jpg
IMAG0237a.jpg (231.54 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
IMAG0236 (Custom).jpg
IMAG0236 (Custom).jpg (62.92 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
IMAG0235a.jpg
IMAG0235a.jpg (205.89 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

This was my awesome line repair. (electric tape. yep)
Line.JPG
Line.JPG (44.74 KiB) Viewed 4631 times

Anyway does anyone know what that line from the thru hull might be?
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Re: What is that?

Post by MarineAssist »

So, let me guess. You winterized it yourself?

The pump and strainer you circled is the raw water pump and strainer for the A/C system. It uses lake water to run across the condenser coils to either cool or heat the cabin. The red valve and open end is probably where it would have had antifreeze run through the system to winterize it.

Being as you are asking the questions now after the winter, I now have to ask does the A/C still work now? #-o
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

Don't think it has AC, I remember E buying a drop in unit.
watt money
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Conley Bottom

Post by watt money »

Pretty sure he has A/C if he doesn't he's got the pump and strainer for one.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

It came with a built in AC unit.

Marine Assist, Marine and Speed aka Jeff Jones Marine aka Trippin aka DJ P winterized it well before freezing temps. I know I got charged for doing the AC so hopefully all is good. ...now I wonder which way that valve needs to be for it to be on. Hopefully it is how it should be since I haven't touched it.
Fall Creek
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Fall Creek rmap

Post by Fall Creek »

E that looks like a standard ball valve and from the pic I would say the valve is closed.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

That is my guess, at least I would think open would have the lever in line but I was wrong once. lol
watt money
Better Member

Post by watt money »

Yes E the valve is in the off position. I thought I was wrong once too but I was mistaken.
crwky

Post by crwky »

It's in the off position and that is where you want it to run the AC. In the "on" position and with the AC running you would have a big wet mess on your hands. So to speak.
watt money
Better Member

Post by watt money »

Not sure what kind of mess you are talking about crwky, the valve has to be in the on position (open) to run the A/C. In the off position (closed) no water can run over the coil and the unit will shut down. In either position there is no chance of a mess unless a hose has been removed.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Go home CRWKY ur drunk! lol J/K

I'm glad I'm not the only one that might have looked at the monitor sideways when I read that. :P
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

Not an expert, but it looks like a mini water manifold that could be used to drain the AC water and run pink stuff thru for winterization or connect air compressor to to blow water from the line.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I finally got what CRWKY was saying. He is taking about the valve that Marine Assist said I should use for winterizing etc. (good to know as I might try that myself this year) It just threw me off since I was asking about the valve in the bilge. lol

Thanks for everyone's help. (it takes a village) I just keep finding stuff on this boat I have not noticed before. Being my first cruiser and not having spend much time to really go over it I am sure there is a lot more for me to learn.

E
watt money
Better Member

Post by watt money »

I see now, thought we were talking about the thru the hull valve, yes that would make a mess. I knew I was probably missing something as usual.

Return to “Boater Tech Swap”