KY Fish and Wildlife Seeks Discarded Natural Christmas Trees

Please limit posts in this Forum to News and Events for Green River Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Forum rules
Forum Rules are common sense with some decency. Play nice, do not attack anyone and try not to post false news.
Sunset Lady

KY Fish and Wildlife Seeks Discarded Natural Christmas Trees

Post by Sunset Lady »

FRANKFORT, KY (12/22/11) – Many natural Christmas trees wind up in a landfill after the holidays. The fisheries division of the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources has a better idea: Sink these discarded trees into lakes to provide more cover for fish.

The department is seeking tree donations from the public to help make this happen. "As our lakes age, we need to replenish the woody habitat that rots away with time," said Jeff Ross, assistant director of fisheries for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife. "We need natural Christmas trees to construct habitat for fish to be placed in our 17 major reservoirs, our smaller state-owned lakes and even our small Fishing in Neighborhoods (FINs) lakes."

Fisheries workers place habitat in lakes on a small scale year round. Over the last several years on Kentucky, Cumberland and Barren River lakes, the fisheries division conducted large scale habitat renovation. Nolin River Lake, Green River Lake and Taylorsville Lake will receive habitat in 2012.

"This habitat provides protective cover for all fish and nursery habitat for young fish; it attracts baitfish and algae grows on it, providing food for young fish and other aquatic organisms," Ross said. "These structures also increase angler fishing success by providing productive structures for people to fish."
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: KY Fish and Wildlife Seeks Discarded Natural Christmas T

Post by E_ »

mine will end up in the atmosphere. lol My nearest drop off is 3 cities away.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:mine will end up in the atmosphere.
You planning on eating it then far.....oh, nevermind! :D ;;) :-*
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

is that all you think about? :P
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

No...but you make it SOOOOOO easy! :D
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)

Return to “Green River Lake News”