This might be good to know...

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

This might be good to know...

Post by Nervous Wreck »

An e-mail from my son
------------------------------------

New Research – confirmed by snopes (see below) Effects of Turning On Car Air Conditioning in Hot Vehicle

Many people are in their cars first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, 7 days a week. Read below and make changes that are comfortable for you.
Do NOT turn on A/C as soon as you enter the car.

Open the windows first and wait a minute or two before turning on the A/C.

Here's why: According to research, the car dashboard, plastic interior parts and even “air fresheners” emit Benzene, a cancer causing toxin (carcinogen). Next time you enter your parked car, especially in the summer, take time to observe the smell of heated plastic.

In addition to causing cancer, Benzene poisons your bones, causes anemia and reduces white blood cells. Prolonged exposure will cause Leukemia, increasing the risk of cancer.

Acceptable Benzene level indoors is 50mg per sq.ft. A car parked indoors with windows closed will contain 400-800 mg of Benzene.

If parked outdoors under the sun at a temperature above 60 degrees F, the Benzene level goes up to 2000-4000 mg, 40 times the acceptable level.

People who get into the car, keeping windows closed will inevitably inhale, in quick succession, excessive amounts of the toxin. The toxin Benzene also affects your kidney and liver and it is very difficult for your body to expel.

So friends, open the windows of your car - give time for the interior air to dilute and dispel the chemical.

This is what snopes.com <http://snopes.com/> says. It is not the air conditioning in the car but the Benzene producing agents that cause cancer.
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/benzene.asp <http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/benzene.asp>
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Re: This might be good to know...

Post by FasterThanYou »

I guess I should stop using the remote start to cool the truck before I get in. d@mn!

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Post by Pac22 »

FasterThanYou wrote:I guess I should stop using the remote start to cool the truck before I get in. d@mn!

You pussy. A remote start???? You have to be joking. =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

I don't even use the A/C unless it gets to 90. And then I roll the windows down while it's on. :D I could see a remote start in the winter time......IF YOU LIVED IN ALASKA!! =))
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

I came with it and d@mn straight I'm going to use it. I out one on my wife's car too when we lived at Woodson Bend since we didn't have a garage. :p

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Post by Pac22 »

Maybe you need to personalize your license plate. =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

http://www.wlky.com/video/23617039/inde ... source=CNN
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

bought remote start for my wife for her birthday one year. It is great!

Especially with her being preg this year she can leave the AC on and a window cracked a little (ventvisors) and hit the button 5 minutes before she heads home from work and it is nice and cool.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

I love my auto-start too, but there ain't nothin I like better on my car than my seat heaters ;;)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Yes dear I know, but sometimes my hands get real tired! :x

Return to “General Talk”