Wanna Help E with his search? Join in! *Warning extra long

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Wanna Help E with his search? Join in! *Warning extra long

Post by E_ »

(A little duplication from another thread but figured I would pull it all together)

Big long thread, many will not feel like reading but for the rest of you join on in... lol

Ok, hopefully Saturday the deal goes through on Goin Tarpless. I have finally prepared my mind that it is "gone".

Sooo, moving on...

I want to stick to the same budget I had with Goin Tarpless as far as the boat payment (yes I am a poor kid and will take out a loan lol). That pretty much equals out to 25k but does not mean I would pay 25k for any boat out there that meets my specs nor does it mean for the right boat I would not do more but generally I am going to STICK with that figure. I am preapproved for a loan BUT with each boat I would want to get serious on they would need to evaluate it. Basically if I can find boats under the http://www.BUC.com value then I should be good to go. They have fully approved the green Bayliner below and also another one in Indiana that is below somewhere.

Here is what I prefer:
26-28' Cruiser Boat with aft cabin, full head with shower sink etc., full galley - sink, stove burner, refrigerator, microwave, etc.
Come with Camper Canvas
Air conditioning - I have decided I want this and would like the ones with heat at well. There are a couple boats out there I have considered that did not have it and one had a carry on unit but I lean more towards those with factory setups.
Bravo 3

Boats I seem to like in rough order just by looking at pictures of them.
This is where I need your help, I don't know anything about Cruiser boats, their track record etc. I know some will say Bayliner is junk but I just had one and it was FAR from Junk. ___ had one that when I last saw it was pretty cool and I would think in great shape for the mileage it had seen and I heard he got good money for it too. I'm not looking for a brand loyalty opinion I want to hear your first hand knowledge of known issues etc., known GOOD things, etc. I there anyone out there with small blocks in this boat size and do they perform well? I ask this since almost every one of them is a small block so that leads me to believe it is not that big of a minus unless you get a underpowered one like a 5.0 in a 27'er.

Bayliner 265 (I think they only started making these around 03, 04 or 05 so good luck finding one in my $ range.
Chaparral 260 Signature (the ones with the windows like the Bayliner)
Bayliner 2655 Cierra Lx DX or cruiser (yes just mainly because of the big windows they have I know this is over the 8.5' width but most think I can get away with up to a 9.5' beam)
Sea Ray 260 SunDancer
Regal 2765 Cruisers (largest 8.5' beam cruiser?)
Regal Commodore 2660 Aft Cabin
Wellcraft 2600 Martinique
Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee ?

So again the main points I want to meet are:
26-28' Cruiser
No engine smaller than 5.7 (like the reviews of the 7.4 but 5.7 is fine)
Don't want to be over 400 hours and would prefer under 200.
Nothing less than a Bravo 3 or equivalent
Prefer to have built in heat/Ac units
Prefer to have good Camper Canvas
Prefer within 500 miles but would drive further or ship a boat that is a great deal.
...and of course
MUST have trailer in good shape (unless boat price is low enough to buy a new trailer and keep at 25k range)
Sink, Stove, Microwave, Fridge, Toilet, shower, hot water, etc.

NO Radar arch! (unless you think it could be removed and not leave a big ugly spot on the boat)
No Salt water (unless you think for that particular boat it would not matter because of hours, or setup, or whatever)

When you tell me one you think is best or when you give me a list of ones out there tell me why you put one above another etc. This is a learning process for me. I may or may not agree with your pick but what you state may be something that sticks with me and influences what I choose to ultimately do. I appreciate that this forum has some seasoned boaters that know their way around boats and are generally happy to help guide another boater. The Lake Cumberland Forums are what "trained" me to boat and how to better take care of the boat I have/had. Now to train me on the next step.

Some that caught my eye
VERY nice shape if is not sold http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001- ... era-298021 I have been speaking to the owner about it. My boat mentor told me to offer 19,500 so I offered 20,500 and the guy replied that the price was firm and stated NADA price but he readded some standard options to the value which my boat mentor told me you are not supposed to do, you only add items that were added after purchase from standard. I asked the dealer for a little movement as he was prepared to trade my Bayliner in on it for about 2k more than others had offered on trade value since now that I would not have to trade the Bayliner I figured he should have a little room to move on the price but he would not move with me thus right now I am reviewing other boats.

The rest of these in no particular order you can look at these and reply off them or just send me whatever YOU see out there you think is a fit. This is my basic search - http://www.boattrader.com/search-result ... Price:ASC/

http://boats.iboats.com/cruiser-boats/? ... &zip=41031

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001- ... era-312161
I WAS looking at this one but when I contacted the seller he would not send me more photos, would not answer simple questions via e-mail and said he only wanted to reply to me via the phone. That worried me since it seemed he did not want to put simple things in writing like if all the electronics worked, if there were any major scratches in the gel coat, etc..

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001- ... -100404488
Another 2655 that looks nice but don't know if it comes with a trailer

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002- ... era-316201
Another 2655 looks really nice and is a 02. Does not state if comes with trailer or how many hours.

Here is a Rinker in Cincinnati but would need to get rid of arch as it would not fit in my building I don't think...
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001- ... e-99961681
Does not list engine hours so I am betting it has more than I would want on it...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000- ... -101586910
249 hours so over my 200 mark but under that 400 cut off point I have created for myself.
Looks like a nice boat and is not as far of a drive as some of the others.

Order a trailer from Don and this boat? - http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001- ... e-99465420
Would need to know hours and more details first...

Odd looking trailer - http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002- ... a-99523478

Above my budget unless they took a 25k offer - http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2002- ... 5-99820892

Here is a Wellcraft, from what I read about them they seem to perform well.
http://www.spendaday.com/pre_owned_deta ... eh=2472882
Nooo, the pictures are not dull the hull really is that dull and would take a full compound and wax.
It is at my 200 hour mark but does have a radar arch that I just don't think will fit in the building or would be ok to tow... I told them I would think about a 23,500 offer...

Don't know much about Crownline and it is in the upper range of the hours I would accept. Does not appear to have trailer but depending on BUC value I might could order one for it.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000- ... -Cr-227821

This one claims to have been stored for 6 years
It is a 03 and has VERY low hours. BUT! It does not have built in AC/heat and it has been used in salt water however they claim to have flushed it every time.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003- ... 265-245081

Another in Indiana
http://boats.iboats.com/2000-bayliner-c ... 81871.html

Green Bay Wisconsin
http://boats.iboats.com/2000-rinker-fie ... 85901.html
Comes with trailer

I would think about making an offer on this one but did not like how Skipper Buds did me on another deal I was looking at. So scratch them from ANY thoughts...
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000- ... -100536136

...also I would NOT deal with Sea Ray of Cincinnati/Louisville after my dealing with Jeff there. They can keep their boats.

Yep sorry for that 20 page long first post, I understand if no one wants to participate but I just figured I would throw it out there.

Thanks

E
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Wanna Help E with his search? Join in! *Warning extra lo

Post by E_ »

Have some pics of a Bayliner 2655

See Zip file
Bayliner 2655.zip
(3.56 MiB) Downloaded 601 times
Attachments
DSCF4575 (Custom).jpg
DSCF4575 (Custom).jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 43880 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

trailer pics
Attachments
attachments_2012_05_02.zip
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 536 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Well for those following on this site. Though I LOVE that boat the more I looked at the outdrive the more it got to me and the more I looked at how much of the skeeg was missing the more I thought. ...and yep I sent them a note telling them I recind my offer unless they want to put a new outdrive on the boat. ...but that info is just for us. lol

Lets let the rest continue. LOL I think I'll say I bought it. ... lol j/k
Attachments
Outdrive.JPG
Outdrive.JPG (150.32 KiB) Viewed 43848 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Reply I got this morning after sending the owner at AMerican Boat Brokers a e-mail I was going to look at other boats as the outdrive and input I have received from others has me a bit scared.

He sounds pretty sure of that drive and the survey. Either he knows EVERY surveyor in the area or he truly feels this is a non issue. What is your take on it?
--- On Thu, 5/3/12, lsosno <sales@americanb*atbrokers.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: Buyers Order and Pictures for 2001 Bayliner 2655 Cierra
To: E_HILLMAN@
Date: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 8:52 AM

E

OK go it..but let me say this about your outdirve issues..a skeg is
designed for protection only..sometimes from beaching boats over time the
skeg rubs down..sometimes they get chipped etc..when this happens most
folks just sand ..it does nothing to the performance whatsoever!!!! This
skeg can be easily fixed for under $300 my cost..without replacing the
entire drive case!!! I can get the seller to do that I am sure.

I will leave you with this..should you decide to proceed, I will refund
you 100% of your survey fees should this boat fail the survey for any
reason per your surveyor who you hire!!!...thats something no other broker
would ever offer..

Think about it..no risk at all if it fails for any reason.

Best Regards

Larry
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

Post by Nervous Wreck »

'E', the pics of that outdrive would be a MAJOR concern to me...if I was lookin! ;)

Any word on the SeaRay yet?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Not yet
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

I wonder why a stainless skeg for about $100 (Overton's) and a little sanding and Mercury outdrive paint wasn't done? To pretty up the boat and not do this makes you wonder. Even $10 worth of paint and probably no one would have noticed. Does the leading edge of the props look OK to you?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Jaybird to me the prop and drive look ok but to those that I am trusting have more knowledge than me they say it all looks like trouble. The dealer did offer to repair the skeeg and paint the drive for me. He also feels very certain that the drive and boat will easily pass a survey.

Confuses the heck out of me.
crwky

Post by crwky »

E I wonder just how he plans to fix the skeg? I don't like the stainless "patch" fix. When I see them on boats first thing I think they must have broke a big chunck out of it and "patched" it with that.

Beaching really BEACHING???? A 27' cruiser is that the best you can come up with?

Now if you like the rest of it and they have a good plan to fix the skeg and it passes the survey, before they sand and paint the outdrive and the surveyor knows that is something you're worried about GO FOR IT GET THE d@mn THING ON IT'S WAY!!!!!!!!!
crwky

Post by crwky »

http://www.dealerblock.com/members/vehi ... Position=0

2006 265SB
I don't think this link will open for you but you can text me for a user name and password. I'm sure this will not work but I bet 10-14 will buy it tomorrow.
crwky

Post by crwky »

Vehicle Information
VIN: USDA30SBG506 Stock #: 358723
Engine: 8 Cylinder Gas [8G] Ext. Color: White, Blue
Trans: Int. Color:
Body Style: 0 DR CRUISER Int. Type:
Odometer: 1 MI Title State/ Prov: Illinois
In Service Date:
Options

Accessories
MERC 5.7LT 260HP
swim step ss prop pwr trim table sink head fridge a/c micro depth finder stereo
Announcements
PUBLIC OR DEALER
MARINE CERTIFIED
Remarks

Additional Information
Exterior Information
SOLD "AS-IS" Information should be deemed reliable but not guaranteed, all representations are approximate, and individual verification is recommended.
**MARINE CERTIFICATION REPORT**
VIN: USDA30SBG506 Year: 2006 Make: BAYLINER 265 SB
Year: Motor Make: MERCRUISER
Engine Size: Serial#: 0W357532 HP: 260 Hours:
Grade Level: 3-AVERAGE
Compression: 1/160; 2/158; 3/158; 4/160; 5/158; 6/158; 7/160; 8/160;
Exterior Condition: NICKS & SCRATCHES & CHIPS-SOME DEEP, PORT SIDE DOCK RASH.
Interior Condition: NO KEY. MISSING TV. VINYL SUNBURNT. VINYL IN CUDDY HAS A LITTLE DAMAGE.
Trailer Condition: DOLLY JACK MISSING
Motor Oil: DIRTY
Engine Temp: OK
Freeze Damage: NO VISIBLE SIGNS
Engine Noise: NO
Belts: FAIR
Tilt: OPERABLE
Prop: POOR
Prop Shaft: FAIR
Forward & Reverse: OPERABLE
Merc-Bellows: OK
Outdrive Oil: CLEAN
Tilt Hoses & Rams: FAIR
Runs & Shifts: YES
Has: swim step ss prop pwr trim table sink head fridge a/c micro depth finder stereo
Interior Information
crwky

Post by crwky »

This boat will sell tomorrow and it will be cheap but it needs some money spent on it but it's not a deal you play with you put your hand up about 9:30 tomorrow then you leave with it about noon. Well after they get a check lol
crwky

Post by crwky »

Then I can buy this while we are there.
Attachments
gle25106e405_7.jpg
gle25106e405_7.jpg (136.92 KiB) Viewed 43810 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I'll pass
Exterior Condition: NICKS & SCRATCHES & CHIPS-SOME DEEP, PORT SIDE DOCK RASH.
Interior Condition: NO KEY. MISSING TV. VINYL SUNBURNT. VINYL IN CUDDY HAS A LITTLE DAMAGE.

At least the one I was looking at had a beautiful exterior and in the cabin still looked pretty good. That thing sounds like all it is missing is a sofa bungee strapped to the top of the cabin. lol
crwky

Post by crwky »

Or you could be super cool in this 03 288CD you can drive inside or out. Also sells tomorrow cheap.

I have got to get rid of these photos asap people will think I done lost my mind.
Attachments
usda23eca303_1.jpg
usda23eca303_1.jpg (71.67 KiB) Viewed 43810 times
E_
Site Admin

Don, don't kick me. (feel free to call me I am off tomorrow)

Post by E_ »

I think this might be it, got a second chance offer at 26k, maybe I could get them to 25k

IT IS A 2006 MODEL! that is a couple years newer then the cuddy I just traded. Comes with a trailer and a external generator.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123

Sure it is a 285 but it really is not much bigger than the older 2655s I have been looking at or the SeaRay 270s.

Does someone need to talk me down from this ledge? To be honest I was on the SeaRay train with Marine Assist but wouldn't this 5 year newer boat be better? I don't know but it looks tempting. For all I know they have sold it since sending me the offer.

If those pictures are recent it sure looks clean and nice. Higher horsepower engine than the 2001 Bayliner I was looking at and not much more when you figure trailers etc.
crwky

Post by crwky »

Have you spoke with the seller? 0 feedback on a high dollar item makes me wonder a little. But if you have spoke with them and both are real, the seller and the boat then get your a$$ in the truck tonight. That is almost too good to be true even on a Bayliner. Lol
crwky

Post by crwky »

Also is $1000 worth a chance of missing this deal? I dont think so. If its real jump jump jump
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Ur right CRWKY but I can always ask. lol If you haven't noticed I don't jump very quick on a buy. Something else will always come along. I don't get $12k-17k off new trucks by mistake. lol Now for some reason dealing with boats I have not been very successful with getting people to come down in price but Marine Assist has. It must be that he can speak to boats MUCH better than I can. I am very tempted to JUMP at this boat but like you said and I said last night. I'm easing into this to see if the person is real. I want to feel out how they forsee any monetary transactions such as a deposit etc.
crwky

Post by crwky »

On a deal like that you can tell a lot about a person with one phone call. That would be the first thing I would want to do. Get them on the talker does the area code of the phone number match where they say the boat is and like you said payment terms and deposit put all the pieces together it it fits looks like a deal.
crwky

Post by crwky »

Ok I don't understand one thing. When I click on the link you posted it showes up just fine. If I go to ebay and try to search for it it dont show up. When I open the link and click view sellers other items it also don't show and it should. Something is strange to me about that. Now it may be just me and I could have set my ebay not to show sellers with 0 feedback a long time ago idk.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Geez, there MUST be something wrong with it look at the value
Attachments
BUC value.JPG
BUC value.JPG (81.11 KiB) Viewed 43758 times
Just Chillin
Better Member

Post by Just Chillin »

That boat looks real nice. What are the engine specs and hours? What does the cockpit look like?
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Geez, there MUST be something wrong with it look at the value
Don't drag your feet on this one 'E'. If the figure is right, that's one hell of a deal! IMO
crwky

Post by crwky »

Of from another post I now understand why is don't show on ebay and its just your link.
Fall Creek
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Fall Creek rmap

Post by Fall Creek »

this is just to good to be true, it sure seems like a scam to me! I hope it's not for E but....................................
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

It was, we were all correct.

I think it was a scam, they never returned ANY messages. Not ONLY did the item get removed but the user that listed it is no longer a user! :mad::mad::mad:

SON OF A (U$)($*)#@(*$@#)*&$(*@&(@!* ($)$* Q()*U*)(%&)(*#, I was all excited and ready to roll. :mad:

Back to the drawing board. :(

This listing (160794568895) has been removed, or this item is not available.

•Please check that you've entered the correct item number
•Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Well here is a KICKER, Nervous got a reply from the Bayliner seller today! WTF! lol

Anyway maybe we will hear more about this one at some point. #:-s
2000 SeaRay Kansas City.JPG
2000 SeaRay Kansas City.JPG (130.11 KiB) Viewed 43691 times
crwky

Post by crwky »

Ok E I know it's in FL but the ad says "fresh water" who knows.... It may bring more than you want to spend but it is no reserve so it sells to high bidder. If I was looking for what you are I would at least keep an eye on the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=Vie ... INDXX%3AIT
crwky

Post by crwky »

I have an ebay story for ya. I found this boat last night about 11PM it had only been listed for 6 hours. After taking a look I decided to click buy it now. Well about 30 min later I get an email saying he had just sold it to a guy that came and looked at it and he did not know how to end the auction. So I guess some time even if you do jump on a deal you can still be too late...... I'm still pissed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=Vie ... MEWNX%3AIT
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

THat boat is C-L-E-A-N! Makes ya think the pics were taken when it was new. lol

Surely it would bring more than I would spend. Plus I have already 2footitised myself. lol I'm now mainly looking at the boats that have the wider beam and have the side table like the Bayliner 2655, 285, and the SeaRay 270. The Rinker 270s for example are BIG boats but they do not have the layout I have grown to like over the last couple of weeks.
E_
Site Admin

Re:2000 Bayliner 2655SD LX Ciera w 2001 Prestige dual traile

Post by E_ »

2000 Bayliner 2655SD LX Ciera w 2001 Prestige dual trailer - 18000 Mattoon IL
http://chambana.craigslist.org/boa/2970750086.html

Here are pictures of the boat in 3 zip files if you want to see them, I would suggest opening each and then extracting to a folder on your PC so you can view all at once without clicking in each one by using the windows picture and fax viewer
DSCF1275.zip
(7.6 MiB) Downloaded 523 times
DSCF1329.zip
(7.34 MiB) Downloaded 499 times
DSCF1339.zip
(7.53 MiB) Downloaded 495 times
E_
Site Admin

2000 Sea Ray Sundancer 270 Occoquan VA

Post by E_ »

The Bayliner above is down to close to 15k now with trailer

Here is the 2000 Sea Ray Sundancer 270 Occoquan VA which is the same age as the Bayliner but for 12k MORE and no trailer (it does have a Gen though) however to me I know the dirt can be cleaned up but the pin striping, torn seats that he is having repaired etc. just makes it seem like a much more weathered and abused boat.
2000 Sea Ray Sundancer 270 Occoquan VA 1.zip
(9.06 MiB) Downloaded 488 times
2000 Sea Ray Sundancer 270 Occoquan VA 2.zip
(344.42 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
IMG-20120512-00312 (Large).jpg
IMG-20120512-00312 (Large).jpg (55.43 KiB) Viewed 43596 times
crwky

Re: 2000 Sea Ray Sundancer 270 Occoquan VA

Post by crwky »

E_HILLMAN wrote:The Bayliner above is down to close to 15k now with trailer
Dude just do it. You are not far from an even trade at that price.

But remember before you talk too bad about the Sea Ray it does also have the big block ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Its a tough decision CRWKY. I think one has been taken better care of and has a trailer but the other has the engine and options I want.

I'm leaning towards the Bayliner and then getting a new enclosure, a good compound and wax job, new trailer bunks/carpet/maybe some paint/ check tires and a Marine assist axle/brake check up, new snap in carpet, (a redneck portable generator lol), two spots need gelcoat repair where it was chipped off (not caved in like that one boat I looked at), maybe a bigger swim platform, and a fresh oil change, outdrive oil change/paint, and water pump. Then I guess all I really would have to worry about is how long that old engine will last.
E_
Site Admin

Still thinking about this one.

Post by E_ »

Bayliner 2655 Illinois with Prestige Trailer.zip
(5.61 MiB) Downloaded 486 times
If you copy or extract the files out of the zip file to a normal folder you should be able to view them all in sequence with windows picture and fax viewer...
Fall Creek
Better Member

Post by Fall Creek »

what's he asking for it E? Good looking boat, lower unit and trailer scare me. doesn't look like the trailer has had very good care and that can tell you alot about the previous owner.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Lower unit is stained from River use at St. Louis. Current owner uses on a lake in Illinois and trailer boats it. Trailer seems to only be surface rust.

Now for the price... ... ... This ist he one I posted above. Asking price was 18k, he is down to 15k. Same boat as the 24,500 Bayliner that did not have a trailer and had a outdrive with some serious electrolysis. I figure at that price some buffing, waxing, painting, etc. and it would be pretty good.
Fall Creek
Better Member

Post by Fall Creek »

Yeah, you can have alot of work done for 10k!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Here is the same boat (found a old ad doing a search) from about 3 years ago (guessing that is when the first owner traded it in and it went up for sale before current owner bought it last year) ...before he got divorced and decided he wanted to go back to a bass boat.
http://www.onestopmotors.com/vehicles/U ... sale-39898
(so the trailer tires I'm guessing are about 4-5 years old.) The ad lists something stupied like 550 hours but these boats do not have meters etc. so I would guess that was just something that is in their template as I saw a few other boats with the same number)

Here is yet another ad from the same time
http://www.hoobly.com/0/0/1052660.html

Can someone else look at that one? To me it looks like either the engine or outdrive were replaced new in 2007. Looking at photos of the boat and some of the connections (see engine photo DSCF1329 blue splice and DSCF1326 yellow) in they engine bay I would almost think maybe the engine could have been.... Ahh heck I don't know. lol Just a typo before the bottom paint comment? BTW, it was bottom painted again last year.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

thoughts?
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

E_HILLMAN wrote:thoughts?

It's purty :D
(lol, I know nothing about the info you are seeking tho ;) )
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:thoughts?
Holy crap! Jist buy somethin' and STFU! Me and everyone else is sick of this chit! Sheesh!=)) O:-) :D ;;)
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Lol
E_
Site Admin

...annnddddd the winner is~

Post by E_ »

The Bayliner from Illinois!

Craigslist1.jpg
Craigslist1.jpg (70.79 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
Craigslist2.jpg
Craigslist2.jpg (68.75 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
More photos in this post
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5545#p37979

I had pretty well decided on it a couple weeks ago and have just been working with Marine Assist to figure out my best finance options, etc. I figured at the price I got the boat even if it needed an engine it was still a deal. I added to the loan enough money to get new Canvas, cockpit carpet, impeller/water pump, buff/wax job and cockpit cleaning, some other maintenance performed etc., buy a Honda Generator, and a few other things. Then I figured I would take it out and see how it worked. If all was good with the engine I would get the above items done and if not I would use the money for the engine and or drive. From there we will look at Canvas and other things listed above.

After yesterday's run on Cumberland with it I think the engine is good to go BUT I did have an issue with the temp creeping up when running at higher RPMs. JPatton and I hung out on the lake for a while longer in a couple different coves and then headed in as we both had things to do this weekend at home. JP went on home and I took the boat to Don's office where almost immediately he found that the hose that picks up the water from the drive and through the bellows was the wrong hose and was kinking. That will be the first thing to be done and I also asked to go ahead and replace the water pump just for good measure. Don also found where one of the lines to the toilet had been left off from being winterized and thus keeping the toilet from being able to fill up with water to use it.

We did not hook to shore power to test the AC but we did find the refrigerator was able to get nice and cold. Love the Cabin layout as it is just as I expected. You can have the bed area up front and still sit at a 4 seater table in the cabin. JP and I kept finding more and more storage compartments where I think most of our gear will be able to be stowed out of the way. The anchor/windless only has 30 feet of chain so I will have to figure out if that windless can handle rope or if it is chain only. And then if chain only how much can it hold and how much can it handle as I would guess 200' of chain would take up a lot of room and be QUITE heavy. Anyway we just found spots where the water was 30' deep and anchored there.

It was a fun trip Friday. JP and I met up in Leesburg and left by 8am ET.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Lexin ... ,2&t=m&z=8

Then headed up North of Cincy where at 9:03am JP wanted some breakfast at Bob Evans and then he took time to drop a deuce. lol
From there we powered on out of Ohio, across Indiana, and stopped in Montezuma IN for some Halls
Halls of Montezuma3.jpg
Halls of Montezuma3.jpg (110.5 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
Past a BUNCH of flat land
Boring.jpg
Boring.jpg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
Then on to Arthur Illinois where we ate at Yoder’s Kitchen http://yoderskitchen.net/ which was good.

Next thing you know JP spots this boat tailgating us pretty bad
Boat Tailgating.jpg
Boat Tailgating.jpg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
No matter how fast we went (90 at times) it was still there chasing us!
Boat Tailgating2.jpg
Boat Tailgating2.jpg (38.7 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
We finally gave up and made a pit stop in Columbus Indiana where JP seen below greets the boat.
PitStop in Columbus Indiana.jpg
PitStop in Columbus Indiana.jpg (62.23 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
We also got to meet up with $pare and Katie at Buffalo Wild Wings. It was WONDERFUL to see Katie. ...$pare was ok too I guess. :p

Then after realizing we had spent about twice the time we intended we hopped back in the Dodge to Louisville and on back to Leesburg .

The next morning I woke up and thought it was all a dream and decided to head down to Lake Cumberland. When the sun came up I once again realized the boat tailgater was BACK!
Boat Tailgating3.jpg
Boat Tailgating3.jpg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
I pulled over above the ramp at Jamestown Marina around 8:00am where I wiped down the vinyl etc. while JP caught up
Above Jamestown Marina.jpg
Above Jamestown Marina.jpg (65.99 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
JP and I had no issues launching the boat but did realize we forgot the registration stickers and a couple of the life jackets in his car so we went to get them.
Boat docked at Jamestown Marina.jpg
Boat docked at Jamestown Marina.jpg (65.52 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
Then JP realized he forgot his car keys so he had to take the long walk of shame alone back to the boat. lol
Walk of shame.jpg
Walk of shame.jpg (68.89 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
We did find that the boat had a improper hose installed in it that caused some issues and also had one hose that needed to be reconnected to allow proper use of the terlet but all in all it was a GREAT day on the Cumberland and JP and I were both very pleased with the boat.

Can't wait for some maintenance to be done on it and to get the canvas ready etc. and take J Bear and Avery down to it sometime hopefully soon. Apologies to all those that might have tried to call or text me yesterday as my phone battery died and my phone charger had a blown fuse. Thanks to JP for taking the long drive to Amish country with me and to both our wives for dealing with other stuff in our absence such as in-laws and babies. Thanks to $pare and Katie for dinner. :ymhug: And thanks to Marine Assist for helping me through this journey as well as the input and pointers/tips from all those that provided insight. I can't wait to see the boat all clean and polished with some wax shining it up. Hopefully the engine will prove to be a good one and we can start many fun years on it.

I bet JP is just glad he never had to pull an anchor yesterday like we did on Goin Tarpless.

THE END
The End.jpg
The End.jpg (64.09 KiB) Viewed 43394 times
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Jist had to show the crack again, didn't ya Cubby? #:-s BTW....new boat name...."Bear Bottom"
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I've been waiting for months to use that pic again. lol
Fall Creek
Better Member

Post by Fall Creek »

looks great E, maybe you need to make plans to be at the lake June 8, 9, & 10. We can meet up and have some beers!
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

Congratulations E !! Very nice looking boat, wishing you lots of great family fun!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Thanks! I think some of it will depend on getting camper canvas or at least a bimini done. I'm sure Marine Assist can get the hose and water pump replaced fairly quickly after the holiday weekend is over but the canvas is needed to keep mommy and baby from burnin up.
crwky

Post by crwky »

E check with E&E marine they are a member here. They have a shop in Somerset / Burnside area. I'm going to take the toon "Hard Times" to them for a little work.
watt money
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Conley Bottom

Post by watt money »

Congrats E nice looking boat.
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

:-BD Congrats 'E', a big step forward! Hope to see you on the lake!!

Salyer's made a complete enclosure for my friends 27 ft Baja. Great workmanship too.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Saylers is who I tried to tell you the oter night, good quality and great pricing
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I think Marine Assist has someone coming to do a quote this week.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

splashngo wrote: Watt Money I have a honda EU2000 generator and it runs the 10,000 watt AC. We use the stove ,Tv and things like that. We mostly cove out. I wanted a generator but could not afford a boat in 2004 with one. Thought I would only have this boat a few years when I bought it. I has been such a good boat I still have it and she is part of the family now. May add a generator in the future to her when I get to old to lug the 47 lb generator around. Also like being able to put her in dry storage and out of the sun when I am done with her. She is 13 years old and still looks almost new.
watt money wrote:Splash glad you posted about the Honda 2000 it's been on my wish list for about 3 years now but whenever I think I can get one one of my boats decides they need the money worse. lol I've been going to rent one to make sure it would run the a/c. Will it run your battery charger also? I know it won't with the a/c running but separately? How big is your boat? I have a 29' Sea Ray. I've never been able to find the specs in my manual that's why I was going to rent first. Where do you place the gen on your boat out on the front by the anchor? Thanks splash I've been wanting to talk to someone who has tried this for a while now.
splashngo wrote:Watt, My boat is a 30'. It will run the battery charger. It is a 20 amp charger and a 4 bank battery set up.If the batteries are not dead it will run the charger and ac at the same time. Will run the tv and ac at the same time. I have a two burned stove and it will run them both on high. I put the generator the swim platform and tie it to the back rail.I have never had a problem with it moving around. My ac is a 10,000 btu. Your ac should have a label on it telling the btu. If we are at the lake at the same time you can try this one. One of my friends has a 27' Regal and uses the same generator on his boat. Puts his on the swim platform also. When I am in the aft cabin the water pump for the ac makes more noise than the generator.

Interesting http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/portable.pdf

I have mostly been looking at Hondas http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... ator/48690 and Yamahas http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/it ... ator/63741 etc but saw this Hyundai today and it is about 1Kw more than the others and appears to be near the same size and only 58db. http://astore.amazon.com/portable-gener ... B0010W9L34
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

ps, Watt needs an avatar. lol :P
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Honda? Hyundai? Going to the dark side? :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
Nearly

Post by Nearly »

re3too wrote:Honda? Hyundai? Going to the dark side? :ymdevil: :ymdevil:

Kinda kicks his "buy American" in the butt doesn't it?

It don't matter anyway, if he puts that generator out on the platform he's only going to be able to boat in Tennessee or Alabama anyway. :-B
Attachments
Wonder where E is going to put his generator can..
Wonder where E is going to put his generator can..
KID BESIDE GAS CAN.jpg (6.87 KiB) Viewed 43132 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

There is only one that is mostly USA made and it is 120Db. You know I buy USA whenever it is available and meets the need in this case sadly from what i can tell one is not available. Doubt you will see me in a minivan anytime soon. lol

...and Nearly if there is anyone you can show me that buys more made in USA stuff than me I'll let that comment hit me a little. Right now it means nothing. I do MORE than my share to support jobs in the USA.

Don't worry about the gas can, already checked out what I need to do there as well.

...PS when I do have to haul gas I use the truck bed. ;)
crwky

Post by crwky »

Dude go honda or you will be sorry! The quite ones are something else you will not be sorry.
Nearly

Post by Nearly »

Nearly wrote:
re3too wrote:Honda? Hyundai? Going to the dark side? :ymdevil: :ymdevil:

Kinda kicks his "buy American" in the butt doesn't it?

It don't matter anyway, if he puts that generator out on the platform he's only going to be able to boat in Tennessee or Alabama anyway. :-B
I used to buy about a mil of American made stuff but now down to about 400K. Does that count :)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nope, someone else buys it through you. lol You just give them what they want. lol That would be like walmart taking credit for the USA made stuff they sell.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

crwky wrote:Dude go honda or you will be sorry! The quite ones are something else you will not be sorry.
I'm trying to figure out... They Hyundai, Honda, and Generac ALL have a model that looks EXACTLY the same. :-? The only difference was the Hyundai was 1,000 more watts and 1 Db quieter. /:)

Now if I DO buy another generator for the farm I'm thinking this might be the company. They have a 1% failure rate and are USA all the way.
http://www.jobsite-generators.com/winco ... 6000i.html

Here is more http://wincogen.com/ They DO have some portable models but they are not 100% USA as they use Honda engines and they do not have the nice portable casings as the ones I have been looking at.
Nearly

Post by Nearly »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Nope, someone else buys it through you. lol You just give them what they want. lol That would be like walmart taking credit for the USA made stuff they sell.
Nope, I have to buy it first then re sell it to them. Product was 100% domestic until a Canadian company bought the solid color pigment supplier.

Never owned a rice burner yet, all my vehicles have been Ford or GM with the exception of one German moment of weakness.
WaterWings
Better Member

Post by WaterWings »

Nearly wrote:
E_HILLMAN wrote:Nope, someone else buys it through you. lol You just give them what they want. lol That would be like walmart taking credit for the USA made stuff they sell.
Nope, I have to buy it first then re sell it to them. Product was 100% domestic until a Canadian company bought the solid color pigment supplier.

Never owned a rice burner yet, all my vehicles have been Ford or GM with the exception of one German moment of weakness.
Speaking of rice...I find it very ironic that just about once a week I see on Facebook were someone (not going to mention names) loves to eat "shushi" aka fish bait.
Now this same person also just loves to buy Amuricun... but there ain't nutin Amuricun about eating fish bait. Just sayin! :D :D
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Why not, most of the fish is Alaskan. lol And the people that own the restaurant are Japanese Americans. :P You should try Seki's fish bait, it is WONDERFUL :D
Nearly

Post by Nearly »

I was going to upload an avitar but didn't see a "re-sizing" link like LC.Com. Do you have one?
Attachments
EINSTEIN.jpg
EINSTEIN.jpg (9.61 KiB) Viewed 43087 times
Last edited by Nearly on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Sure, lol
http://lakecumberlandboaters.com/files/ ... orWindows/
Install one of these and then all you ever have to do is select the files you want to resize and then right click on them and choose resize. Works great and can do as many or as few at a time as you want. :P

But I don't worry too much about having a built in one since for normal posts I let people post about as big of a pic as they want.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

http://www.regalownersforum.com/forum/v ... f=4&t=1053
Talk about getting the AC compressor started and maybe needing more than the 2000i can do.. http://www.regalownersforum.com/forum/v ... 1393#p9065 Seems these guys are using Yamaha 2.4k. Makes me think that Hyundai 3k is a better idea.

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp ... &%23627938

Extended run tanks and accessories http://www.wisesales.com/generators-1/g ... tanks.html
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nearly wrote:I was going to upload an avitar but didn't see a "re-sizing" link like LC.Com. Do you have one?
If you want I can resize and upload that one for ya. B-)
...but that means Jaybird is better at this than you. lol
Nearly

Post by Nearly »

E_HILLMAN wrote:
Nearly wrote:I was going to upload an avitar but didn't see a "re-sizing" link like LC.Com. Do you have one?
If you want I can resize and upload that one for ya. B-)
...but that means Jaybird is better at this than you. lol

Do it then e-mail me the directions.

I downloaded the link for the resizing but it is not working.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Done,

one of the linked installs is for 64 bit OSs and one is for 32 bit. If one don't work the other should.

Once you have it installed you select the picture or pictureS you want to resize, set the size, hit ok, and you are done.
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (68.68 KiB) Viewed 43067 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

From what i am reading most people say the Honda 2000i will not cut it if you are trying to crank up some AC. The Yamaha 2400ISHC (MUST BE HC) has the same sound output and close to the same fuel consumption and is able to crank up to 15,000btu AC units. Honda does have a 3kw but the price jumps considerably.

I can't find that 3Kw Hyundai HY3000SI anywhere as the seller on Amazon.com is out of stock and no one else seems to have them other than stores in England.

There is a Really good Honda/Yamaha review here by D Chambers http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EF2400iSHC ... ewpoints=1

Believe it or not some of the manufacturers like Honda are calling their generators like this "Marine" capable as well and even have videos of people with them set on the dock plugged into their boats. They even have sunbrella covers that say Honda or Yamaha "Marine" on them. lol I know many don't like the generator on the platform idea and good for them. But there are MANY MANY boaters doing it and are happy with it.

Return to “General Talk”